I’m perplexed. People are strange.

I haven’t written in a few days here because I’m working on editing my books and am almost finished the second part of my mini series. I’m having a better time writing it now. The harder scenes have been written and now I can just have fun with the series.

As I sat at the computer tonight, I looked at the clock and it was 9:30. I had planned on writing for another thirty minutes, then taking a break and stretching and maybe take out the garbage.

Next thing I know, it’s 11 pm. And then like five minutes later, it was midnight. It blows my mind how lost you can get in writing these scenes.

I sent the first manuscript to a few friends and it’s already been downloaded over 40 times. No reviews yet, but it’s a longer read. I’m a fast reader and it took me a couple of hours to get through it.

But here’s the weird thing. As I was writing, an email came in through my old address which only work people still use. And that’s rare. I used to use it for everything back before I started using gmail.

This message pops up from a local number that looks vaguely familiar. And let me tell you, yes, I’ve been trying to remember who it is. Former work colleague? Former boyfriend? Like it could be anyone.

It came through at 11 pm and said:

Hi Wendy hope you have a very Happy Birthday.

It’s the way the message is written that sent my skin crawling. Work people would use proper punctuation. This reads like one of my ex’s.

What are the chances? As I’m thinking about an ex because of the story I’m working on, inspired by our the abusive relationship… could this be him?

I responded to the text asking who it was. No reply yet.

I sent a text, saying, “I just got an email from this number. Who is this?”

And then finally, after nearly two hours of no response, I feel like someone is playing me here. My birthday was almost two months ago now.

“Well, this must be an April Fool’s joke because I have no idea who you are and my birthday was months ago.” Given the possibility that it could be an old colleague, I ended it with a winky emoticon.

But seriously….who the hell sends emails like that without signing them???

Legitimate number that looks vaguely familiar.

And so, the mystery carries on. Perhaps I’ll use it for a future short story. I had to laugh though. There’s a 666 in the number and my book is about the Devil and demonic influences. So. Yeah.

If that’s an omen, then I don’t know what is.

Of course, this kind of thing sends my overthinking into over obsessive mode and I won’t be able to sleep until this person reveals who they are! A google reverse search brings up nothing.

11 Comments Add yours

1. Hilary Tan says:

People are indeed strange. As much as I want to say not to worry about it, it’s this kinda stuff that drives me bonkers. The least they could have done was sign it with their name at the end of the email. Drives me crazy when ppl just assume we know who they are and they lack common sense. April fools day joke or not, it’s not funny. 🙄

2. wendymusings says:

I know! And I responded like right away to the email too. I think they’re just messing with me. It’s more bugging me that I can’t remember the phone number.

Liked by 1 person

3. Hilary Tan says:

It’s too bad that you don’t have any leads regarding who this mysterious person could be. Even a phone number would be helpful. 🙇‍♀️

Liked by 1 person

4. wendymusings says:

Yeah I went through my phone and caller history. I’ve had a few phones over the years. Google brings nothing up. I think this person is just playing games and that’s what makes me think it’s an ex lol. It’s just the grammar, the writing style. Sometimes you just know by looking at the text.

Liked by 1 person

5. wendymusings says:

That’s the weird thing. Instead of a regular email address like wendyj@whatever.com it showed up from a number. lik
    e phonenumber@telus.net — really weird. No name, no signaure.

Liked by 1 person

6. Hilary Tan says:

That’s so weird! It doesn’t even look like a legit email. I’m so confused as to why they would they use something so generic.
    I think you’re right about it possibly being from an ex or someone who’s being a cheeky monkey.

7. wendymusings says:

Yup! It’s so weird and out of the blue. I took a screenshot, I’ll upload the image.

Liked by 1 person

8. Hilary Tan says:

The heading is even more peculiar 🤔

9. wendymusings says:

Right? Hasn’t responded to my texts either. Another mystery!

Liked by 1 person

10. Hilary Tan says:

He definitely sounds like a troll.

11. wendymusings says:

Still no response. I am chalking it up to trolling.

Liked by 1 person