The other night I made a really beautiful chili that many of you seemed to like. I had half a can of black beans that I needed to use up. I’ve been looking for new recipes that I can try not only to spice up my diet, but also to utilize beans and legumes more.
No, I’m not turning vegan. The price of meat is still insane where I am right now. I have some chicken and sausages in the freezer. But on my disability insurance, that is about all I can afford at the moment.
This was fun to make and came out really good. It’s loaded with green vegetables and great for weight loss.
Note: when I saw cups, I usually mean handfuls. So, 2 cups would be about two large handfuls of vegetables. I measure out ingredients for my own baking but rarely for cooking
- 1 cup of spring onions – diced
- 1 cup of yellow onion – diced
- 1 cup of mushrooms cut into chunks
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen broccoli
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1/2 can or 1.5 cups of black beans
- 3/4 cups of rice
- 1 tablespoon of margarine or butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- A few drops of soy sauce
- Seasoning: Black pepper, salt, garlic salt, thyme leaves, chives
Preparation: Stir Fry
- In a large skillet on medium heat, heat up the olive oil and garlic. Add in the onions and sprinkle on some seasoning. Stir well. Let cook for about 2-3 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add in the mushrooms and celery. Mix with a spoon. Let cook for an additional 2-3 minutes
- Add in the beans, mix well. Let cook a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle on some more seasoning as desired. Add in the soy sauce.
- Add in the broccoli and peas. Stir well. Let cook another few minutes.
- Finally, add in the spinach. Place it on top and let it wilt before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients. Spinach doesn’t take long to cook and should be added in last with recipes like this.
- Mix the vegetables together with a large wooden spoon. Let cook until everything is tender. Approx 5-10 minutes.
Making the rice
I cannot express how much I love my $20 Black and Decker rice cooker. This thing has helped me become a better cook. I’m trying to add more grains to my diet and this helps. I also have some barley and quinoa I’d like to use more.
- Measure out equal parts rice and water. I use about 3/4 cups and it made two servings for me. Add it to the pot.
- Add in about 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Give it a stir with a fork.
- Sprinkle in some seasoning. Stir.
- Cover with the lid and turn to cook.
My pot cooks rice really fast. It takes under 10 minutes. I stir often so it doesn’t stick to the pot. Don’t walk away from the pot either – as I learned the other day, it can overflow and spill everywhere.
For even tastier rice, use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water. Trust me on this one.
I think if I were to make this again, I’d skip on the broccoli. But my stomach is full and happy even without meat. You could serve this stir fry with rice or ramen noodles. I absolutely love ramen noodles.
This made enough for 2 healthy servings tonight – and I have some leftover for lunch tomorrow. Stir-fry can freeze, but I find the vegetables get mushy, so, I like to eat it up right away and only make small amounts.
Black beans are becoming a favorite of mine from the bean family, I think I’ll have to find more recipes like this.