This week, I cleaned out my kitchen and went through the pantry and cabinets. I have a problem where I buy too much for one person. So, my goal for the next couple of months is to use up as much of the canned and dried goods I have in my pantry that are close to expiration date. There is some leeway of course. Things like beans can be eaten past their prime. I always keep a few cans of those on hand. I’ll be sharing recipes and food ideas with you that are geared towards healthy eating or clean eating. I know for me, my stomach is happier when I eat healthy.
With my grocery order this week, I decided to try something new. I added in some spinach tortilla wraps, fresh spinach and dried cranberries. I have some goat cheese that I need to use up this week so I thought I would try a new wrap recipe.
- 1 large spinach tortilla wrap
- 1 cup of fresh spinach
- 1 can of lemon tuna
- 1 dill pickle diced
- 1/2 cup of sliced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon of goat cheese
- 1 handful of dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons of poppy seed dressing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- This was easy to make and only took a few steps. Lay the pita out flat on your plate.
- Start with the spinach and lay out about a handful of fresh spinach onto the pita.
- Add in the sliced cucumber.
- In a separate dish, mix the can of tuna with the salad dressing. If you don’t have dressing, you can use mayo. Add in the diced pickle and mix well. I use the small Sunkist cans of tuna.
- Drop the tuna onto top of the cucumber.
- Drop a few bits of goat cheese or your favorite cheese on top.
- Fold and wrap the pita as shown in the picture above.
For clean eating today, I added a cup of cucumbers and the rest of the pickle as a side dish. I only used half of the can of tuna for this recipe. I stored the rest in my fridge which I will use up for lunch tomorrow. Surprisingly, this pita was quite filling and I’m good for the afternoon now.
I know you’re probably thinking that the spinach wrap and spinach is overkill. But with the combination of the dressing, goat cheese and cranberries – there’s a perfect blend of sweetness. I added a bit of salt and black pepper as well for added punch. You can use any flavours you wish.
The great thing about pita wraps is they are super easy to make, extremely versatile and very healthy. I’m trying to reduce the amount of bread I eat, so a wrap is a good substitute. I find that wraps are filling – but not in a gross way that you get when you eat too much bread. So, for me, this is a healthier lunch option and can be eaten on the go.
Home living, recipes and more!
Follow my blog for more healthy recipes! I’m switching back to clean eating for fall and have many recipes to share with you. Just click on the food category on the side bar for more posts like this one!