Like the title says, this recipe was really low effort but it turned out to be one of the best meals I’ve cooked this summer. I find it difficult to cook hot meals in the summer heat, but the weather has turned and it’s like fall right now. Cooler days, and chilly evenings – which make perfect weather for cooking.
I had some deli chicken in the fridge the other night along with some bell peppers that I needed to use up before they went bad and so, I came up with this dish. It was delicious. And pretty healthy even though the base was penne pasta. Does it count if I used Smart pasta? It’s the only kind of pasta I have in my pantry.
This recipe will serve two – or if you’re like me, you’ll have lots of leftovers the next day. Just double the recipe if you’re cooking for a family of four
- 1/2 box of smart penne pasta (3 cups)
- 2 cups of pre-cooked chicken shredded
- 2 cups of bell peppers mixed colors
- 1 cup of spring onions diced
- 1/2 cup of milk or half n half cream
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (any flavour)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- Salt, pepper, oregano, parsley
- Cook the pasta in a large pot. While the pasta is cooking, you can shred the pre-cooked chicken and cut your vegetables. I do all my pre-prep early in the week so that I can just grab containers out of the fridge and toss in ingredients.
- In a large skillet, add the butter and garlic. Let the butter melt before adding in the spring onions and chicken. Let the chicken soak up in the butter and add your choices of seasoning. I used salt, pepper, oregano and dried parsley. Add in the bell peppers and let cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next you’ll want to add in the milk or cream. You can add a thickening agent but it is not necessary. Bring the milk to a boil while stirring often.
- When the pasta has finished cooking, drain it, and add it to the skillet. Fold the pasta into the creamy sauce so that all the pasta is covered. See picture below.
- Cover the skillet with a lid, lower the heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, toss in the cheese, mix well. Turn up the heat and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, turn off the stove. Cover with a lid for a minute or so. This will allow the sauce to thicken up that much more.
You can serve this dish with garlic bread, or a nice garden salad.
When I put this together, I had no idea how it would turn out. I was really surprised at how filling it was too. For reheating the next day, I simply threw the container in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. I added a bit of bacon bits to change things up – and it was delicious.
If you aren’t a pasta fan, then simply omit the pasta and substitute with rice or dumplings. It will work.
Creamy Chicken Penne – mostlysingle.com
Love this recipe? Then check out my food page for more delicious meal ideas tailored for the single chef.
This blog needs your help to continue on for another year. Please consider donating to help cover the costs of a premium plan or buy me a cup of coffee. Or check out my home page for my Amazon wish list!
Buy me coffee!
I love coffee. Would you buy me a cup or two? Or three? You can donate as much as you’d like via Paypal.