I love protein snacks especially now that I’m back to counting calories and trying to lose some weight. One of the best ways to fill up in between meals is either with a protein shake, or my favorite, a protein bar. But the trouble with protein bars that you buy in the stores – they often are packed with a lot of sodium and unnecessary sugar.
And so, something I love to do is make my own protein snacks! The great thing about these recipes is that they are so versatile, easy to make and you don’t even have to turn on the oven.
Who doesn’t love peanut butter? There’s nothing better than a peanut butter sandwich with a mashed up banana. Well, here’s a snack you can have that’s healthier than a sandwich. It’s loaded with protein, and ingredients that can help with “gut” problems. Quick oats are a fantastic source of fibre that is great for aiding in digestion of food.
- 1 large banana mashed
- 2 cups of quick oats
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of walnuts or almond halves
- 1 cup of roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1 large tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a large bowl (peanut butter, coconut oil, vanilla, banana).
- Add in the oats and mix well. You can add a bit more peanut butter or milk if the mixture is too dry. I added in the almond milk and honey last so that it would soak up the oats. If you don’t have honey, you can use brown sugar instead.
- Mix really well with a spoon. You want to make sure the oats are covered with the wet mixture.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts. You can add a pinch of salt but it’s not necessary. If you use Jiff’s peanut butter, then this should be enough salt to taste.
- Line a baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Pour the batter into the pan. Spread it out using your fingers – see picture below. Ignore the unevenness – I was in a hurry and it all stuck together. You can rinse your hands with colder water so that the mix doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Leave in the fridge overnight and cut up into smaller pieces.
This makes for a great snack in between meals or you can eat a couple of pieces for breakfast. This recipe contains healthy ingredients like almond milk that has a lot of health benefits and coconut oil which is really good for you. The nuts provide healthy fats. Peanut butter acts as your source of protein.
I actually tried some of this today. It’s delicious. Absolutely one of the best snacks I’ve had in years. It’s filling and tasty while being healthy. If you’re not a nut fan, you could make it without peanuts and add in chia seeds, flax seeds or your favorite crunchy snack. This recipe is super easy, and you can do anything to make it your own.
This was my breakfast and I’m feeling full and my stomach is happy from the oats.
For more delicious and easier recipes, check out my food page.
Love this recipe? Let me know in the comments.