Friday morning rainy day blues

It’s Friday morning and I have my first cup of coffee for the day. I actually got out of bed at 7:50 this morning. I’m really trying to turn things around with my sleeping schedule and so I hopped into bed around midnight last night.

It’s spring time in Alberta which also means it’s allergy season. It’s finally raining after which seemed like a really long dry spell. We’ve had fire bans here in the province and yet people have been setting off fireworks. There were several fires around the city yesterday. The worst one – happened in a senior’s centre.

Fires are one of my worst fears. Imagine being a senior with dementia, all on your own and then suddenly losing your home due to a fire. It looked like the two top floors were completely destroyed. They haven’t released the cause of the fire yet, but we’ve had a string of arson lately. That’s something I’ll never understand.

So, while the wind is cold, the rain is welcomed. We really need it. And the tree is starting to look really pretty with the buds coming in. It’ll give me a lot of shade this summer.

This morning after I got up, I tried making some coffee. I decided on instant coffee. I turned the kettle on. Could have sworn I heard it boil. Then poured the water into my cup and couldn’t figure out why the coffee grinds weren’t dissolving.

TWICE I did this. Cold water? What could be wrong? Is the kettle dead?

Nope. Turns out I hadn’t plugged the kettle back in last night. Two cups of coffee ruined.

While the kettle was boiling, I had a look outside. The wind had made a real mess of my balcony and threw my flower pots all over the place. Luckily, the smaller ones were held down by stones that the previous tenants left behind. I’ll have to go out later and find something to hold the pots down. It’s still too early to plant anything and I don’t have anywhere inside to store them.

Plus one has this major spider web in it that I just don’t feel like dealing with. Perhaps the rain will clean it up.

I’m feeling a lot better after the funeral Wednesday. I reached out to a few mutual friends and we shared some memories of Harriet which really helped. I think what makes grieving hard right now is that we can’t do this in person. It’s a part of the grieving process. After the funeral, you have a wake or celebration to share those happy moments with friends.

It doesn’t make death any easier to accept. But it helps.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do with my day today. This is the first day I’ve been migraine free in ages. Maybe the humidifier helped with that. I was hoping to get out for a walk with my camera today. I want to explore the parks in the area. I just found out there is a massive park two blocks from me. And I’m only a ten minute car drive from the ravine.

My bestie and I are planning a day trip to Elk Island too and I’m looking forward to that. We’re planning on going once we’ve been vaccinated. Mine is scheduled for next week. It was supposed to be this week but there was a glitch in the system. My fault I guess. I’m really looking forward to that. It’s been too long being cooped up in isolation. But we have to wait until the new restrictions are lifted.

On the upside, I can see my dad again and hope to do so soon.

That’s it for me – I’m working on a series of blog articles on important topics like learning how to set healthy boundaries, how to recognize emotional abuse, and how to heal and move on from past hurts. I’m also looking into other topics that might be of interest to readers.

If you have anything you’d like me to cover – please let me know.

And again, a reminder to readers. I love your engagement. I love hearing from you all. I can even appreciate that we might have different opinions. But I do ask that ALL commenters be respectful. Name calling, bashing and overly hostile comments will be removed. But honestly, wordpress has been a great experience for me so far. And I love hearing from you all!

Have a great Friday! I may post again later today.

Leave a Reply