It’s that time of month already – where has the year gone? It’s already November and yet it feels like I’ve done nothing this year. I guess that’s true since I’m still off work. I’m having a hard time filling in the hours of the day. So, it’s time to really buckle down and focus on getting healthy and dropping more weight.
I saw some progress towards the end of October with weight loss and I couldn’t be more thrilled. I tried on some old pants and shirts that were in storage bins that didn’t fit last year. And to my surprise – they fit! I won’t say what size I am now – but I’ve dropped at least two dress sizes since my heaviest weight. It feels great to be able to fit into my favorite shirts and I can’t wait to lose more weight and fit into my old dresses again.
My October routine was a success and so I’m going to continue on with a similar routine for November focusing on getting my sleep back on track. Today was a great start. Even with the time change I was up before 9 am and crawled out of bed with energy – even after staying up until 2 am for my horror movie marathon. Turns out 2 am is my limit these days. I miss my youth though – the days where I could pull all nighters and not feel it the next day.
November Fitness Goals
Track my food every day for 30 days
This has been a huge help for me using My Fitness Pal. I’m aiming for a maximum intake of 1500 calories daily. Aiming for under 150 grams of carbs per day (I love bread too much to give it up). Daily exercise results in an average caloric intake of about 1100-1200 calories daily. I’m still getting enough food – but the exercise really helps.
Keep to my fasting schedule
- Breakfast at 9:00 or 10:00 am – depending on when I get up
- Lunch between 12:00 and 2:00 pm
- Dinner between 5:00 and 7:00 pm
- Snack no later than 8:00 pm
This will vary depending on when I get up in the morning and how hungry I am when I wake up. I find it difficult to last 16 hours without food – so I’m aiming to do a 16:8 fast every other day, or three times a week and reduce calorie intake on those days.
I also plan on going to bed around the same time every night – no later than 1:00 am. This will help ensure that I get enough sleep at night – and up by 8:30 in the morning.
The plan is to continue exercising daily and switch up my routines every other day. I usually plan for one day of rest which is Saturdays when I go see my dad. That’s also my cheat day and I will normally order in dinner. Just depends on the mood.
When I was in really good shape in 2010, I was biking 5 km a day at the gym and then would finish off with circuit training. So, I’m trying to do that from home. I am aiming for at least one hour of exercise daily with a combination of the following exercises:
- Cycling – 30 minutes every other day (or 5km distance)
- Resistance training – 15 minutes with the bands – daily
- Exercise ball and stretches – 30 minutes – alternate with biking days
- Weights – 10 minutes at least 3 times a week
- Walking – on days above 5C if there is no ice or snow
Cooking and food prep
I just cleared off my phone and was shocked to see over 600 photos of food on my phone! I think my goal for this month is to only cook a large meal once or twice a week and share the recipes here. Otherwise, there’s too much food for one person and a lot goes to waste.
- Breakfast – “hand” foods – eggs, toast and peanut butter, fruit, Special K cereal, oatmeal
- Lunch – lettuce wraps (no bread), protein filling (tuna, chicken, eggs, salmon), cheese (cottage or cream cheese) with a side of raw veggies and hummus
- Dinner – a mix of protein (steak, beef, pork, chicken), a side of veggies – maybe starch veggies for a treat)
- Snacks – yogurt, fruit, nuts, popcorn, whipped cream (keto), home made baking
I will still share recipes – just not as often.
And so that’s it. I never make weight loss goals because it’s too disappointing if you don’t make those goals at the end of the month. I am trying to get better at not weighing myself every day. I may even hide the scale for a while.
I was really surprised when one day my baggy pants just fell right off me when I was cleaning. I didn’t think I had dropped that much fat – but it turns out I did! I think the fat is just shifting around. All my pants are loose in the legs and even the ones that didn’t fit last month – are fitting now. I love it! Progress comes in all shapes and sizes.
And on that note, it’s almost time for lunch. I think it’s an egg salad kind of day.
What are your fitness goals for the month?
- Fasting vs Starvation
- The “skinny” on intermittent fasting
- The benefits of intermittent fasting
- Best foods and treatments for hypermobility, joint pain, and inflammation