I ran out of bread tonight and bagels too and was craving something crunchy – so I decided to whip up one of my favorite recipes which I call Easy Oatmeal Bread. It’s a cross between a loaf and a muffin but tastes delicious. I just love the crispy topping.
This recipe is so easy to make – it will take less than ten minutes to prepare and only 30-40 minutes to bake depending on your oven.
- 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of rolled or quick oats
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup of softened or melted butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon or nutmeg
- Optional: walnuts or almonds for a nutty flavour
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients and sugar
- Combine the dry ingredients and wet ingredients into one bowl and use a handmixer or a wooden spoon to mix the batter – careful not to overmix
- Cook for about 35 to 40 minutes – use the toothpick method to ensure the middle is fully cooked.
Double the ingredients to prepare two batches of bread. Let the bread cool down and serve with a dash of butter or cream cheese. This recipe is my go to when I’ve run out of bed or am craving something homemade. You can add walnuts, almonds, or even chocolate chips.
I love having oatmeal bread around – pair it with a piece of fruit or a cup of yogurt and you’ve got a filling and hearty breakfast that will start your day off right.
If you try this recipe, then take a picture and post it on instagram — just tag me at @mostlysingle. I’d love to see what you come up with!