So, I committed the cardinal sin of putting my leafy greens in the bottom drawer of the fridge and forgot about them. This included the kale and bok choy that I was looking forward to try.
My bad. I opened the drawer this morning and they are past their prime – but still edible.
But what to do with these items? I decided to whip out my new instant zest rice cooker and put it to good use.
The recipe is easy to make – and as usual, ingredients were mostly pre=washed and pre-cut. I did have to wash the bok choy and kale. It’s also a good idea to rinse quinoa – but I’m using a flavored box today and didn’t want to lose the flavour.
I’m waiting for this dish to finish – but it’s already smelling so good! You could add another cup or two of water or broth and turn it into soup.
- 2 cups of low sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 cups of kale chopped
- 2 cups of bok choy chopped into smaller pieces
- 1 cup of spring or green onions
- 1 cup of mushrooms diced
- 1 cup of tomatoes diced
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 teaspoon of minced or crushed garlic
- Spices: salt, black pepper, chives, parsley
- Add in the broth and quinoa to the pot.
- Turn pot onto the quinoa setting. Or if you’re using an Instant Pot Duo – you can use your manual settings.
- Add in the bok choy, kale, onions and garlic
- Add in the rest of the vegetables
- Add in the spices (about 1/2 – 1 tsp of each)
- Give it a good stir.
- Cover with the lid and cook for about 15 minutes. Stir. Add more seasoning if needed.
- Cover again and let cook until vegetables are tender and quinoa is fully cooked.
I check on instant pot recipes every 15-20 minutes as I’m still learning how long things cook. This version of the pot doesn’t really have a timer on it so I have to keep an eye on it. If you get the Instant Pot Duo – you will have all the lovely features I don’t have.
This recipes makes a lot of food. I’ll probably wind up freezing some for later use. You can pair it with protein – chicken or salmon would work well. But cook it separately.
Haha…posting this recipe caused me to lose a follower on instagram. Guess some people don’t like healthy food?
What are your favorite quinoa recipes? Let me know in the comments!
More soups and stew recipes
- Barley and vegetable soup
- Beef hearty stew
- Beef hearty stew – version 2
- Beef with rum stew
- Creamy tomato and vegetable soup (a winner)