I was feeling a little inspired last night as I started to clean out my fridge for my weekly shopping trip. I decided to get out my new rice cooker and whipped up this dish. It was during this process that I realized my rice cooker is just too small for casseroles and Asian inspired meals. So, I ordered an Instant Pot. But the rice cooker is a nifty little tool to have on hand. If you travel a lot, they come in smaller sizes and can be easily packed in your car.
To make this recipe even healthier, substitute the white rice for brown – or use quinoa instead – which is what I’m doing next week!
As with most of my recipes, this is extremely versatile. Feel free to substitute ingredients for whatever you have on hand.
- 1 cup of Jasmine sticky rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1.5 cups of zucchini sliced into halves
- 1.5 cups of grape tomatoes
- 1.5 cups of mushrooms diced
- 2 cups of cooked shrimp
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Spices: salt, black pepper, thyme, chives, basil
- Plug in your rice cooker and turn onto cook.
- Add in the butter and let melt (about 1-2 tablespoons worth)
- Add in 1 cup of water and 1 cup of rice.
- Add in the vegetables and give it a stir.
- Add in the shrimp.
- Add in the spices and top off with some soy sauce.
- Close the lid. Cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this dish was to make and how well the rice cooker actually works. I was going to add in an egg like the restaurants do but forgot. Next time. I cooked this for about 25 minutes and topped it off with a few more drops of soy sauce and pepper. This dish was filing and so easy to make.
PRO TIP: wash and cut your vegetables when you get home from the store so that you can just grab ingredients and throw them into the pot for cooking. This will cut your prep time in half.
Warning: this recipe will make a lot of food. I had enough for three plates and there is still left overs in my fridge. That’s four meals I got out of this!
What’s your favorite thing to cook in a rice cooker?