This is by far, the best thing I’ve created in months. It was easy to make and just one plate with one piece of bread was so filling. Made for a great late lunch – or you can make this for dinner.
As for most of my recipes, this was a one pot meal and took about 30 minutes to prep and cook.
This dish is pretty versatile, you can use any kind of sausage or even ham would go perfectly with it. I used the jumbo pork-cheddar sausages I had in the fridge.
- 1 pkg of sliced Butternut squash
- 1 medium red onion – cut into large slices
- 2 cups of cheddar pork sausages (or your choice of sausage)
- 1 can of stewed or chunky tomatoes (I used a jumbo can)
- Olive oil
- Spices: salt, black pepper, thyme, oregano, garlic plus
- Parmesan cheese – for topping
- Drop about 1 tbsp of olive oil into a very large skillet
- Turn on medium high heat for about a minute
- Add in the onion slices, some salt, pepper and garlic plus. If you have fresh garlic, even better.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes. Add in the sausage. Mix well.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes or until sausages start to brown.
- Add in 1/2 can of the stewed tomatoes and stir.
- Cook for a couple of minutes or until tomato sauce starts to bubble.
- Add in butternut squash noodles.
- Add in the rest of the stewed tomatoes.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the rest of your spices.
- Cover and let cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Top off with Parmesan cheese and serve with a dinner roll or just on its own.
This recipe will feed 2 people – or you will have left overs for a couple of meals. It’s extremely low carb and very healthy. To reduce sodium content, instead of using canned stewed tomatoes, use real tomatoes.
If you don’t have the pork sausage – don’t worry. This recipe is so versatile and can be eaten without protein – or switch up for ground beef or ground pork.
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out. You won’t be disappointed. It was delicious!!
- Baked pork chops and vegetables
- Chicken and vegetable casserole
- Chicken and broccoli casserole
- Rice cooker – pasta and chicken
- Roasted veggies & chicken
- Butternut squash and ham casserole
- Crab and mushroom stir-fry