Two weeks into my little to no bread challenge and I’m already slipping. I am getting my groceries delivered tomorrow. Once upon a time, I used to order in things like cupcakes and would eat a whole package myself.
Most everything I eat these days – I tend to make with my own two hands. Very rarely do I buy frozen meals. Or prepared salads. The only thing I might settle for is deli chicken because it’s much cheaper.
I had a craving for a muffin though tonight and so I whipped up my favorite batch of what I call – Coffee Cake. This recipe is versatile as long as you stick to the main dry ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups of All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 two eggs
- 1/2 cup of brewed coffee
- A few drops of vanilla oil
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- Nuts for topping (optional)
- Spices: pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon – optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan (see photo) with butter or margarine
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients using a hand mixer.
- Add in the rolled oats and stir with a wooden spoon
- Add in the wet ingredients and stir until the dry ingredients are moist
- Pour the batter into the baking pan
- Cook for about 30 minutes – cooking times may vary. You can use the toothpick method to test to see if it is done.
It’s so good. I’m definitely going to have to hop on the bike tonight and do my stretches. But so worth it. I tell myself that it’s healthy – because it has oats! I don’t think my logic is sound though. But it’s tasty. You may want to toss in something like a banana or almond milk to add a bit of flavour.