In my effort to eat healthier and lose weight over the next few months, I finally got off my butt and got to work in the kitchen.
I had some fresh kale in the fridge that needed to be used before it went bad. I hopped onto YouTube – my go to resource for how to videos and looked up how to cook kale. I had thought about baked kale chips but that seemed like too much work.
So what did I do? I wound up with a mix of cooked kale, bbq chicken, onions and garlic – and voila. It was so good. Tonight I’ll get that stew done. It’s a perfect day for slow cooking.
Thought I would share this creation with you.
Helpful hint: always wash your leafy greens especially if they’re fresh. Sometimes I’ll wash kale or lettuce in advance and let it dry before cooking.
Cooked Chicken and Kale
- 2-3 cups of fresh kale (about 1 bunch)
- 1 medium onion (yellow or white – your choice)
- 1 clove of garlic or about 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 1.5 cups of cooked chicken (I usually get deli made chicken)
- Olive oil and your choice of spices (salt, pepper, basil works well)
- Add a few drops of olive oil into a frying pan or skillet and turn stove onto medium heat
- Add the garlic and onions and simmer until lightly brown
- Add kale slowly (grab a handful and toss into the skillet)
- Using a tong or wooden spoon, gently mix the leaves and add the chicken
- Add spices and seasoning to taste – sea salt is amazing with kale
Simmer about 2-3 minutes but not too long as kale will wilt too much. This is why cooking the onions first really helps to bring out the flavour. This dish serves about two people. Double the recipe for family serving.
If you’re like me and you have left overs as a single person – this mix tastes great on top of a piece of toast.